- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 small red onions
- 1 small yellow onion
- 10 mushrooms
- 2 zucchini
- 4 T. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 T. each of fresh thyme, rosemary, and oregano
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop up all the vegetables and herbs except for the garlic (peel the 4 cloves but leave them whole).
- Toss the vegetables, herbs and whole garlic cloves with 2 T. of olive oil (the other 2 T. will be used later).
- Place everything on a baking sheet in one layer and put in the oven.
- Check the garlic after 20 minutes. Remove the 4 cloves from the baking sheet when they have turned a nice golden brown and are soft to touch. Place the garlic in a small bowl and return the vegetables to the oven for another 15 minutes of roasting.
- Smash the garlic with a fork and mix with the remaining 2 T. of olive oil.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables and herbs into a large bowl. Mix with the garlic/olive oil mixture and salt & pepper. At this point, if you want a little heat in your ratatouille, you could always add a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.