This month’s theme is grilling which put me into a bit of a panic. Since our move, our outdoor grill has been non-functional without a gas hookup. Thankfully, we have our trusty George Foreman Grill as a backup.
I have been wanting to make grilled romaine salad ever since a fantastic dinner at Jonathan’s Cork in Tucson. I love the combination of the hot grill marks and cold crisp lettuce. For our topping, I included a little bit of crumbled bacon (yes, even dietitians enjoy a little bacon every now and then), some organic blue cheese and a sprinkling of raspberry balsamic vinegar. The result was outstanding, and this salad couldn’t have been easier to make.
Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and blue cheese. Sprinkle with raspberry balsamic vinaigrette. Serve immediately! (One romaine heart equals two servings.)
Tip: When buying bacon, look for nitrate-free, antibiotic-free, hormone-free on the package. It is getting easier and easier to find at the regular grocery store.
- 1 package romaine hearts
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled bacon
- 1 Tbsp. raspberry balsamic vinegar
- Wash and dry your lettuce. Make sure the romaine is totally dry before you grill it or you will end up with a soggy salad. Do not trim the end, that is what holds the lettuce together. Simple slice the romaine heart in half.
- Place cut-side down on an oiled grill or George Foreman grill. Close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes. Open the grill, flip the lettuce and grill for another 2 minutes. Don’t leave it on for too long or it will lose all of it’s crunch.
- Place the romaine cut-side up on a plate. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and blue cheese. Sprinkle with raspberry balsamic vinaigrette. Serve immediately! (One romaine heart equals two servings.)
Don’t forget to browse through the rest of the Recipe Redux posts!
Alexandra made Grilled Summer Fruit Salad
Grilled Romaine Salad
Grilled Flank Steak with Grilled Corn and Peach Salsa
Grilled Sweet Peppers
Grilled Beet & Onion Salad with Goat Cheese
Grilled Polenta Veggie Stacks with Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes
Char Siu BBQ Pork
Grilled Tandoori Chicken Skewers
Grilled Proscuitto Shrimp with Asian Dipping Sauce
Grilled Salmon Burgers with Cherry Chutney
Portobello mushrooms stuffed with spiced couscous
Succulent Sirloin Kabobs
Portabella Mushroom Burgers with Grilled Corn
Grilled Veggie Bean Burgers
Mushroom Burgers with the Works, Mushroom Cannellini Spread
Italian Grilled Turkey Burgers
Grilled Plantains: A Sweet Summer Side Dish
Grilled Eggplant & Two-Tomato Whole-Wheat Piadina
Grilled Watermelon Salad