33 COMMENTS
Healthy Chocolate Shake (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free)

Healthy Chocolate Shake Recipe

Welcome to this month’s Recipe ReDux!  When I found out that our theme is chocolate, I was pretty stumped.  I’m not much of a baker, so chocolate chip cookies were out.  A healthy recipe using chocolate?  Hmm…..

Inspiration hit me last week when a friend mentioned that she thought of me while sipping a smoothie made with raw cacoa powder.  A smoothie with chocolate?  What a wonderful idea!

Coming up with a recipe was harder than I thought.  The first two attempts were duds.  But the third came out perfect.  Nice and thick, a little sweet, and with my favorite combination of flavors, chocolate and nut butter.  Yum!  This recipe can be made with quite a few variations.  I hope you will find one that you like as much as we did.

Cheers to a healthy chocolate shake!

Healthy Chocolate Shake from InspiredRD.com #glutenfree #dairyfree

Healthy Chocolate Shake

Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
  • 1 very ripe banana
  • 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder (use raw cacao powder if you can find it)
  • 1 Tbsp. nut butter (I prefer almond butter, Jeff prefers peanut butter)
  • 1 tsp. honey (optional - use if banana not very ripe)
  • 1.5 cups ice (add less ice for smoother shake)
Instructions
  1. Put all ingredients in blender in order listed. Blend until smooth.

Alysa

33 Comments

1. Emily says:

wow, snap! we had the same idea. I love your photos!

2. Chocolate, peanut butter, milkshake? I’m so in! In fact, I will be making this for breakfast this morning :)

3. Love it when a topic pushes us to create something we never imagined. This looks delish!!

4. yum!!!! i love making a similar shake with almond milk and chocolate vega protein powder

5. Looks so refreshing! I love banana and kale shakes, but cocoa and nut butter sound pretty fabulous too!

6. Janel says:

Love tossing chocolate chips into my smoothies and leaving them a little bit whole :) You have to try this smoothie idea: Trader Joe’s frozen mangos, a splash of milk, and some dark chocolate chips added in at the end. It’s more like dessert but so delicious!

7. Love this, I drink this exact shake all the time! So delicious and satisfying! Great for when you’re craving ice cream, too! :)

8. Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it – especially since I’ve been craving a good milk shake though can’t have any dairy or soy. Hope to join in next month with the Redux!

9. Grain Crazy says:

I think I am going to have to make this for my picky-eater sons! I bet they would eat this and get them some protein and fruit at the same time. Great post!

Britney

10. I make a similar shake with a vegan chocolate protein powder that is amazing! Pb + banana + chocolate is amazing! :)
    newutrition.wordpress.com

11. janetha says:

MMmm looks amazing! I love how easy it is to make shakes healthier, because they are one of my very favorite things to enjoy!

12. gretchen says:

love coconut milk, chocolate, and nut butter… i really might just have to make this.

13. This looks SO good. I love mixing banana, peanut butter and chocolate. I will probably use Almond Butter also. Thanks for the recipe!!!

14. serena says:

So simple. So yummy. My kids will love!

15. Sarah Remmer says:

This looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m going to make it tomorrow!

16. Shakealicious! I’ve been reading up on raw cacao powder. As its not roasted or fermented the poly phenol flavonoids are much higher. What kind of blender do you have?

17. How can you go wrong with a chocolate shake? Love the coconut milk addition… After school snack today?

18. Karman says:

Haven’t tried adding cocoa powder to my shakes but this sounds good!

19. Rayna says:

I made this and it tastes great! This is a yummy and healthy alternative to regular shakes. I posted it on my blog.

20. Jen says:

I freeze slightly overripe bananas for smoothies –you don’t need ice if the fruit is frozen, and it’s a good way to use bananas that are starting to turn. Just peel first.

21. Avital says:

sounds great! I like the idea of combining PB, cocoa, and bananas in a cold refreshing drink!

1. Avital says:

Just made this for lunch/filling snack- soooo good! Thanks for the recipe!

22. Marie Spano says:

What a great idea to put straight cocoa powder in vs. just chocolate flavored whey protein. I love it!

23. I want one…now. If I only had ice! Sad that this is my missing ingredient!

1. inspiredrd says:

Do you have any frozen bananas? Then you wouldn’t need ice!

24. E Walker says:

The chocolate shake was very great taste to it. Thanks for the recipe!

1. inspiredrd says:

So glad, thanks for letting me know!

25. Amber says:

We add spinach to ours….my kids love it

26. Justin says:

Don’t substitute the nut butter for “Nutella” it does not turn out well. You’d think Chocolate + Chocolate = Can’t go wrong… You’d be wrong.

27. Anders says:

This might taste nice, but Its hardly healthy. Unless you use diet coconut milk, Its very high in fat and carb.

28. namajama says:

This shake is great, love it. Add a little protein powder?