Maple Pecan Coconut Quinoa Breakfast

Be Healthy, Breakfast, Gluten-Free, Recipe ReDux, Recipes March 19, 2012
Maple Pecan Coconut Quinoa Breakfast via InspiredRD.com #glutenfree

Have you noticed that I’m on a bit of a coconut kick lately?  I’m cooking just about everything in either coconut oil or coconut milk.  I can’t help myself.

This recipe is no different.  I made a hot gluten-free breakfast cereal out of tri-colored quinoa and coconut milk, added maple syrup and topped it with pecans.  A delicious and healthy way to start the day.

maple pecan coconut quinoa breakfast cereal gluten free

You get protein and fiber from the quinoa, healthy fats from the coconut milk and pecans, and a touch of natural sweetness from the maple syrup.

maple pecan coconut quinoa breakfast cereal gluten free

For an even faster breakfast, cook the quinoa the night before and pop it in the microwave in the morning.  Easy!

5.0 from 2 reviews
Maple Pecan Coconut Quinoa Breakfast
Serves: 6

A quick and easy gluten-free breakfast!
Ingredients
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 can light organic coconut milk
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • ½ cup pecan halves
Instructions
  1. Pour coconut milk into medium saucepan and put over high heat. Add quinoa and heat until boiling. Once mixture is boiling, stir and lower to a simmer. Cook covered for 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
  2. Fluff quinoa with a fork and add maple syrup. Stir.
  3. Serve with pecan halves.

Make sure to check out the rest of the Recipe ReDux posts below for more maple and honey inspiration.

‘);
// ]]>

You Might Also Like

27 Comments

• Reply Cindy March 20, 2012 at 7:22 am

Can you share a way to do one serving? I’m not sure I can get the family to eat this with me! Thanks!

• Reply inspiredrd March 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Cindy, go ahead and make a whole pot of the quinoa, then dish out single servings for yourself during the week!

• Reply Elizabeth Jarrard March 21, 2012 at 4:09 am

uh YUM!!!! love your creativity in the kitchen!

• Reply Carlene @ Carlene's Figments March 21, 2012 at 4:45 am

This is a great breakfast alternative! The pecans are a nice texture addition. I could see myself adding bananas too.

• Reply Danielle Omar - Food Confidence RD March 21, 2012 at 6:29 am

Great alternative to oatmeal…love the flavors! I used to not like anything coconut but I’m starting to really enjoy it in certain recipes. This looks yum!

• Reply Meal Makeover Mom Janice March 21, 2012 at 8:04 am

I love everything coconut, and this looks so hearty and delicious!

• Reply EA-The Spicy RD March 21, 2012 at 8:34 am

Mmm…love this Alysa!! I too am on a coconut kick, and I have always loved maple {plus I have that same TJ’s tri-colored quinoa!}, so this is on my must make list. Delicious!

• Reply Becky @ TOHG March 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

I’m a creature of habit and eat oatmeal most days of the week for breakfast. I really hope to break the cycle with this easy breakfast quinoa. Looks like a great combination!

• Reply Dr Barb,Nutrition Budgeteer March 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

I’ve been on a coconut kick lately, too. I love the taste and I avoided it for so many years. I’m making up for it now with coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut fat, etc.

• Reply Deanna Segrave-Daly March 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Yummy – so simple yet looks so tasty! I have a similar whole wheat couscous version for a breakfast bowl (alas not gluten free) that I do with dates & pecans – love the idea of using coconut milk!

• Reply Tanya @ Dine, Dash, and Deadlift March 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Minus the pecans (or subbing something else in their place) this sounds like a winner to me! Not sure why, I am just not a pecan fan!

• Reply teri@managedmacros March 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Look at this goodness!!! And only 4 ingredients! These are the recipes I like best! I buy canned coconut milk often…I use it for the liquid when cooking rice…so good!!

• Reply TastefullyJulie March 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm

This looks so easy and delicious. And, I love quinoa!

• Reply Stephanie Howardr March 22, 2012 at 7:32 am

Wow, you can’t go wrong with maple and pecans! I like that you used quinoa. I have not used it too much, I need to try this.

• Reply Trish March 22, 2012 at 8:24 am

Love this. I have to agree with you… I made a quinoa dish with coconut milk and it was a match made in heaven. Love the flavors of your breakfast quinoa dish. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Mike Lieberman March 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

I so gotta make this. Will likely sub quinoa flakes for quinoa.

• Reply FoodPlay Productions - FoodPlay Friday: Spring! March 23, 2012 at 9:37 am

[…] category, check out this Maple Quinoa Crunch from the Meal Makeover Moms, this Maple Pecan Coconut Quinoa Breakfast from the Inspired RD, and (my personal favorite) Prevention RD‘s Cinnamon Apple Quinoa […]

• Reply Angie@Angie's Recipes March 23, 2012 at 9:51 am

I could have this for the dinner! Looks very tempting!

• Reply Ann Dunaway Teh March 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I’ve never tried quinoa as a hot breakfast cereal option which is surprising since I love quinoa! I definitely need to give this a try. Thanks!

• Reply Regan @ The Professional Palate March 25, 2012 at 4:23 am

Quinoa is so hearty & comforting to me, I bet this is amazing! Nice pics btw!

• Reply Chicco March 25, 2012 at 7:01 am

Hi Alysa!

Your recipe looks amazing! I’ve been avoiding coconut milk because I was taught that it’s high in sat fats.. may I know why is it that you consider it to have ‘healthy fats’ ?

• Reply Amber @ Chocolate Broccoli March 27, 2012 at 11:38 am

Wow- yummmmmm :) I’ll totally be making this! I have yet to make quinoa for breakfast. Thanks for this!

• Reply Nicole @WholeHealthRD March 31, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I’m totally on a coconut kick too : ) Add some curry powder and less sweetener and this would make a great dinner side too!

• Reply Dia April 29, 2012 at 10:48 am

I LOVE both coconut & quinoa!! I often combine them, & have a favorite ‘pumpkin pie bake’ (adapted from Leanne of Healthful Pursuit’s recipe) that is one of my standards – http://vestellasvale.blogspot.com/2012/04/pumpkin-pie-quinoa-bake.html
    I also make coconut milk kefir, & have that most mornings, with 1 Tbsp chia I’ve soaked overnight in herb tea with dried fig slices & 1/4 C frozen blueberries. In the AM I add ~ 1/2 C kefir & 1/2 a grated apple or pear (or other fresh fruit in season!) filling, quick & easy, & those great medium chain fats & probiotics!! (I got the kefir starter from http://www.kefirlady.com – & have used it for 3 years!)

• Reply Shelley (@momma_oz) September 10, 2012 at 11:29 am

Any thoughts on how well this would re-heat? I need to find some recipes that I can make ahead and the boys can re-heat in the morning…

• Reply December Cooking Club’s MUST Ingredient: Maple Syrup « lifeasabalancedbean December 3, 2012 at 9:20 am

[…] quick look at my contribution.  I followed this recipe for Maple Pecan Coconut Quinoa and added raisins within the quinoa as well as coconut flakes for a […]

• Reply FoodPlay Productions - FoodPlay Friday: Spring! April 15, 2015 at 1:14 pm