I had an interesting conversation with my friend Angel the other day about social media. As fun as it is to interact with people from all over the world through blogs, Instagram, Facebook, etc., we have to be careful not to get sucked into comparing ourselves to everyone’s highlight reels. I know I’ve mentioned it on here a few times before, but it bears repeating that I’m am not perfect, and neither is anyone else. Sometimes I have to do a heart and head check when I find myself in a comparison trap feeling like I don’t measure up. Anyone else feel that way sometimes?
So in the spirit of showing you more than my highlight reel, I thought I would share 33 things you may not know about me.
1. I am 33 years old today.
2. Since I’ve turned 30, I can’t remember how old I am. If you ask and I take a long time to answer, it’s because I’m trying to remember.
4. I killed my first scorpion last week. The kids told me I was very brave. I almost threw up.
5. I went to college on an engineering scholarship. Two days in, I realized I hated engineering. Doh.
6. I won a noodle-eating contest in Japan when I was 17. I ate 63 bowls of soba noodles. It was awesome.
7. I wish I was a better hostess. I would love to have people over for dinner more often.
8. I’ve always been a procrastinator. I want to change, but I just keep putting it off.
9. I didn’t do the diastasis exercises 3 times a week like I said I would. Honestly, I just forgot.
10. When I post pictures of myself on Instagram, I scroll through the filters and choose which one makes my skin look the best.
11. I hate it when people hide their food from me at a party. Eat whatever you want, I’m not judging you.
12. I have a hard time buying any item of clothing that costs more than $10. Except for jeans. Jeans I’ll splurge on then feel guilty about wearing them until a few years later when I know I’ve gotten my money’s worth.
13. My favorite alone time is spent at the thrift store. I pretend that I’m on American Pickers hunting for treasures.
14. I can’t stand to have messy hands. If you ever serve me ribs or wings, make sure to have a huge stack of napkins next to my plate because I’ll need to wipe my hands in between bites.
15. I have zero eye for design. If you’ve been to my house, you probably know this.
16. I want my highlight reel to be as cool as Emily’s highlight reel.
17. I’m surprised at what people find entertaining these days. Maybe I’m getting old (wait, how old am I again?).
18. When Jeff played baseball, I ate pickle-flavored sunflower seeds and drank diet cherry coke at every single game. He played for 7 years.
19. I’m tired of talking about celiac disease.
20. I was such a
tomboy hippy in high school that my mom pulled me aside one day and begged me to look in the mirror, put on a little makeup and brush my hair. I still forget to look in the mirror. Please tell me if I have food in my teeth.
21. I could watch Friends reruns all day long.
22. I drink too much caffeine.
23. In sixth grade, my best friend Melissa and I formed a singing group called the Midnight Stars. Our plan was to be on Star Search to sing our original song called “Best Friends”. I can’t remember how old I am, but I do remember every word of that song.
24. I wish I was funnier.
25. I was never the popular girl in school. In fact, middle school was hell. I was picked on every day by the popular crowd.
26. When I found out that Leila was going to be a girl, my first thought was, “But I don’t know how to do hair.”
27. I badly want to be a better journaler.
28. I’m not superstitious except when it comes to baseball. The baseball jinx is for real.
29. I think I’m a really good mom, but I still suffer from mommy guilt approximately 742 times a day.
30. I’m really bad about staying in touch with people. If that’s you, I’m sorry.
31. I am a horrible decision-maker. So is my mom. You should see us try to decide on a restaurant.
32. I have some amazing life stories to tell you about, but I haven’t written them yet because I’m not confident enough in my writing.
33. Sometimes I try to fix a bad day with purple eyeliner.
And there you have it. 33 things about me.
Now for my birthday present, I want each of you to leave a comment with something about YOU that people might not know. Something that doesn’t show up on your highlight reel.