This, my friends, is the recipe for the best sugar cookies ever.
It’s my great-grandmother’s recipe, and I probably shouldn’t even be giving it to you.
Make a batch with your favorite people. Share with the neighbors.
Have fun smashing the dough, and whatever you do,
don’t forget the secret ingredient.
(Hint: You can find the secret ingredient below)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar (use organic if you can)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel (This is the secret ingredient. Don't skip it!)
- 4.5 cups flour (use all-purpose gluten-free flour if you need these gluten-free)
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- Extra sugar for flattening the cookies (see directions)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, powdered sugar, and 1 cup granulated sugar with electric mixer.
- Beat in one egg at a time until light and fluffy.
- Add oil, vanilla, and grated lemon peel. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Stir well. Add slowly to the creamed mixture.
- Chill until cookie dough is easy to handle.
- Roll small balls of dough with your hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 325 for 8-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.