I remember the first time I saw a bunch of rainbow carrots. I was in awe of their beauty and couldn’t wait to see what they tasted like. But I was afraid to mess them up. How would I cook them? Should I cook them? Then I exhaled and realized I could buy more than one bunch.
The first time I cut into a purple carrot, I was shocked to find it bright orange inside. If you take a peeler to it, there is almost a tie-dye effect. Raw rainbow carrots are great for snacking and perfect for veggie & dip platters. I also enjoy them roasted whole or in halves with a little olive oil and salt. Each color has a distinct flavor, and the kids love eating the rainbow.
This week, I decided to try something new with our Agritopia Farm CSA rainbow carrots by making a quinoa salad. Mixed with fresh cilantro (also from the CSA basket), Moroccan spices, and golden California raisins, this salad really hit the spot!
Speaking of raisins, I’ve decided the golden ones (sulfite-free) are my favorite. And lucky me, they are the perfect snack for after a run! In fact, a recent study showed that runners who ingested raisins or sport chews ran their 5k on average one minute faster than those who ingested only water. I don’t know about you, but I will use all the help I can get. And I would rather eat a natural, no sugar-added raisin than an artificially flavored, sugared, and colored sports chew.
What’s your favorite post-run snack?
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots, trimmed and shredded
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup golden California raisins
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or passed through a garlic press)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 1.5 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, quinoa, cilantro, and golden raisins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Add to quinoa mixture and toss. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.