My kids are in Pre-K and 1st Grade, and already we are feeling the tug of a go-go-go lifestyle. Between soccer, baseball, school functions, and church, sometimes it feels like we never stop moving. What will it be like when they’re a little older and want to add music, dance, and other sports into the mix? Yikes.
With our busy schedule, the crockpot has become my new best friend. I use it almost every day. Sometimes it’s just to have cooked chicken or pork that I can use for tacos, sandwiches, or whatever, and sometimes I use it for a one-pot meal like chili.
Perfect for the end of a long busy day, this turkey chili will warm you up and nourish your weary body.
How do you keep your family well-fed during a busy week?
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I used Muir Glen diced tomatoes with basil)
- 14 oz. can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. salt-free chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Toppings: Avocado, cheese, cilantro (optional)
- Saute onions and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
- Throw the turkey/onion mixture and all other ingredients in the crockpot. Give a good stir, and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Serve with avocado slices.
Food styling by Lexi Grace Design.