Eating food out of a mason jar seems to be quite the trend these days. When I saw this month’s Recipe ReDux theme of “Raising the Bar on Food in a Jar” I thought it would be the perfect time to try out a new spin on overnight oats.
As someone who has very little time to eat in the morning, I prefer a quick grab-n-go breakfast. Overnight cereal is perfect for that because you can put it together the night before, pull it out in the morning, nuke it in the microwave for 2 minutes, and you’re off with a warm and satisfying breakfast.
Change up the combination any way you like, the possibilities are endless. Most any grain will work, and you can use fruit, nuts, and spices to keep things interesting. Go ahead, give Breakfast in a Jar a try this week!
- ½ cup preferred grain (I used Bob's Red Mill GF Hot Cereal Mix)
- ¾ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 Tbsp. golden flaxseed meal (can also use chia seeds)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey
- Fruit and/or nuts for topping as desired
- Add grain, milk, flax, cinnamon and honey to a mason jar. Stir well and cover with a lid. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove the lid, pop the jar in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Top with nuts and/or fruit as desired.
- Go! Go! Go! You're late for school!
What is your favorite food to eat in a jar? Find more ideas below!