A few weeks ago, my parents ended up with three huge butternut squash in their Bountiful Basket. They have been trying to use it all since then. One of the recipes that my dad came up with was a vegetarian butternut squash pizza…then he added sausage.
Dad's Butternut Squash Pizza
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 lb. butternut squash- peeled seeded, sliced ¼" thick
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. pine nuts
- 4 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 2 links italian sausage sliced and browned
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1½ C. grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Shape the dough into a large oval and place on a cornmeal dusted baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Place browned sausage evenly over the pizza dough.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash, onion, pine nuts, mushrooms, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper. Scatter over the pizza dough and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.