My favorite part of Halloween is probably the annual “make-the-face-of-your-pumpkin” photo. That never gets old.
What does get old? The heat.
I know, we choose to live here, but can’t I just wear a scarf once in the month of October? No? Ok fine. I’ll just take my whiny self into the air-conditioned house and curl up with a nice bowl of chili.
This chili is incredible, and so worth the morning prep time to have it waiting for you when you get home from trick-or-treating. If you live somewhere cold, this will warm you up perfectly. If you live in Phoenix, well, crank up the A/C. It’s worth it.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I used Muir Glen diced tomatoes with basil)
- 14 oz. can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. salt-free chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Toppings: Avocado, cheese, cilantro (optional)
- Saute onions and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
- Throw the turkey/onion mixture and all other ingredients in the crockpot. Give a good stir, and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Serve with avocado slices.