So we moved to Texas. And it feels weird. But good. Especially being around family. Last week we grilled out at my sister’s house. She lives on a canal and has the most amazing game collection. The kids challenged each other to Mrs. Pac-Man while Jeff and I faced off in Super Mario Brothers on the original Nintendo. (I won.)
My dad grilled burgers and I was in charge of bringing a side dish, so I made this roasted sweet potato salad. Y’all, this salad is just the right mix of light and filling, smoky and fresh, sweet and savory. I’m calling it an instant classic. Like Tetris.
It’s easy to throw together, just make sure you have a sharp knife.
While the sweet potatoes are roasting, get everything else chopped up.
I was going to add avocado, but in the end decided against it because I wasn’t sure when we would eat, and I didn’t want it to get brown. Also, this salad already tasted incredible, so I didn’t want to mess with perfection. But feel free to add avocado if you want to.
I can’t wait for you to make this. Please let me know when you do. I just know you’re going to love it.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1.5 cups corn I used frozen, thawed
- 1 can black beans no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional - add diced avocado
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss diced sweet potatoes with oil, salt and cumin. Roast in a single layer on a baking sheet for 30 minutes. Combine roasted sweet potatoes, corn, black beans, green onion, tomatoes, and cilantro in a large bowl. Pour lime juice over everything. Stir, season to taste with salt a pepper. Serve. (Optional: add avocado just before serving). Leftovers will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Can be served hot or cold.
Should the ingredient list have a can of black beans added?
Yes! Thanks for catching that. I added it to the list.
This looks amazing and I can’t wait to make it. I don’s see black beans listed in the ingredients list. Is it a can of beans?
Oops, I always forget something. Yes! I added it to the ingredient list. Thanks!
YUMMY! Love the thought of adding avocado too 🙂
I’mlleaving out corn. Wil it still work out?
Great recipe and I added avocado!
Did you know that if you add avocado to a salad or guacamole, ALWAYS place the discarded seed on top until you’re ready to serve. Never have brown avas again. (An Aussie trick!)