Like Kale Chips? Try Collard Chips!

Be Healthy, Gluten-Free, Recipes, Vegetables, Vegetarian April 17, 2012
collardchipsLike Kale Chips? Try Collard Chips! via

Have you ever had collard greens before?  Until recently, my only experience with collards had been Southern style, swimming in bacon, served next to a giant pan of mac ‘n cheese.  When Jeff and I were first married, we spent 2 baseball seasons living in Birmingham, Alabama.  He played for the Birmingham Barons, and I put my dietetics degree to use by working at a golf course and selling beer at the baseball games.

It’s true.

I went from working as a clinical dietitian at a hospital in Tucson to working odd jobs in the pursuit of the baseball dream.  And you know what?  I loved every minute of it.  Baseball wasn’t just Jeff’s dream, it was mine too.

And I actually made more money selling beer at baseball games than I made at the hospital educating patients and ordering tube feedings.

Let’s just say Thirsty Thursdays were very good to me.

Jeff Bajenaru Birmingham Barons

Those were the days when I learned how to cook.  Jeff would go on a road trip for a week at a time, and I would fill my days by watching The Food Network and trying to replicate what I saw on t.v. in our small apartment kitchen.  Ina Garten, Rachael Ray, Giada de Laurentiis, they were my cooking instructors.

I spent hours happily experimenting with food.  Well, not really experimenting as much as following the recipe exactly, since I had no idea what I was doing.  The only reason I can now go into my kitchen and put together a meal without looking at a recipe is because of the early years of cooking, learning, failing, and succeeding.

All of that practice made my most recent kitchen experiments possible.  Experiments like brussels sprouts chips, and these new collard chips.  A crispy, healthy version of that old Southern favorite.

collard chips recipe

And baseball?  We might still like it a little bit.

Question of the day: What kind of odd jobs have you held?

4.5 from 2 reviews
Collard Chips
A crispy, healthy twist on an old Southern favorite.
  • 2-4 collard leaves
  • 1 tsp. olive oil (or use olive oil Misto sprayer)
  • pinch salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Prepare collard leaves by washing, patting dry, and removing leaves from stem (cut stem from the middle of the leaf all the way to the top). Tear leaves with hands into 3-4 inch pieces. Toss with olive oil or spray with Misto sprayer. Use just a light coat, too much oil will leave your chips soggy.
  3. Lay in a single layer on parchment paper. If needed, use two baking sheets to prevent overlapping.
  4. Bake for 7 minutes, then flip leaves. Bake for 5 minutes more, then check leaves. Remove any that are crispy, return any that are limp to the oven. Be careful not to overcook or they will turn brown and bitter.
  5. Sprinkle collard chips with salt or other preferred seasonings.
  6. Serve immediately.

You Might Also Like

• Reply Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 18, 2012 at 6:05 am

I’m such a huge baseball fan – I always hoped to marry a baseball player. :) I found my perfect man but still love the Pirates! :)

• Reply Chuck Bluestein April 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

Yes it is important to follow your passion wherever it leads you. The collard greens chips sound good and maybe they would sell well with hot dogs.

• Reply inspiredrd April 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I wonder if anyone would buy those at a baseball game, probably not! In AAA we had fried pickles, those were popular.

• Reply Ashley Stewart April 18, 2012 at 8:34 am

Thirsty Thursdays were good to me too! I thought it was funny I made more selling beer in the stands than Josh did playing on the field. Fun times. I wish I had know you were in your apartment cooking all that time. I could have been your official taste tester.

• Reply inspiredrd April 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’m sure my introvert self never thought to invite you over to taste test. Sorry about that! Glad you got to experience the beer money too!

• Reply Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 18, 2012 at 8:51 am

COLLORD chips?!?! You are AMAZING! <3

• Reply Regan @ The Professional Palate April 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm

How have I never connected these dots? My husband and I grew up just outside of Birmingham. I went to Auburn for undergrad and UAB for my internship… we lived in Birmingham the first few years of our marriage. When were you guys there? And what golf course? I ask b/c my husband was an asst golf pro at a course in BHM when we first got married. Small world!

• Reply Stacy April 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love reading your posts, Alysa! Though my RD is finally just within my reach, I won’t lie: slinging beer at baseball games doesn’t sound all that bad… :-)

• Reply Vicky April 19, 2012 at 6:30 am

Ooo I have to try these! I absolutely love kale chips and can’t believe I never even thought of making collard chips!

• Reply Melanie @ Nutritious Eats April 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi Alysa,
    I just realized I know I’ve visited your blog before but it’s been WAY too long so I am going to add you to my RD blogroll. Love this story. Sometimes other jobs are so much more appealing than the RD job, but I still love it. My oddest job was definitely working at a cookie boquet place…not selling them but actually decorating! Too funny. It was before I became an RD though. :) I have a 5 year old boy too- such a nice age! Melanie

• Reply Sandi McClanahan April 21, 2012 at 7:29 am

I’ve been wanting something crunchy, yummy and healthy! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

• Reply Doug April 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I guess this makes Kale my gateway chip to Collard & Brussels Sprouts Chips

• Reply tonya@happybodynlife April 24, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Hi Alysa! I have been wanting to try Kale chips and even went so far as purchasing the kale. I forgot about it in the crisper and so I had to throw it out. I think I will try these Collard chips instead. They sound yummy. Hopefully I won’t forget about the collard greens and have to throw them out too. :)

• Reply Kale Chips–Good Enough for the White House or Your House | Sensory Nutrition September 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

[…] Like Kale Chips? Try Collard Chips! from Alysa at her “Inspired RD” blog site. […]

• Reply Eating from the Farmstand Locavore (Week of September 11th – September 15th) « A Simpler Place In Time September 12, 2012 at 6:45 am

[…] 1 Small Bunch Collards – Pesticide Free (Greens on the Gro Hydroponic Farm, FL) Collards, Spinach, and Onions Collard Chips […]

• Reply On the Weight Watchers Menu This Week 9/22 – 9/28 | Getting Healthy In The Middle Years September 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm

[…] Collard Green Chips – use olive oil spray instead of oil and sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder and 2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese – (2 servings) –  1 PPV per serving […]

• Reply Ginevra December 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

These sound great! About how big of collard leaves do you use?

My mister played college baseball – always fun to watch games, even now!

• Reply inspiredrd December 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Yay for baseball! I use giant leaves and tear them into strips maybe 4×5 or so :)

• Reply Ginevra December 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Super – I have several plants going like gangbusters, and never know when to get them harvested.

• Reply Collard Greens Three Ways | The Fit Formula February 11, 2013 at 4:14 pm

[…] and I love kale chips, so why not try collard chips?  I used this recipe with about 4-6 leaves, 1tsp EVOO, and sea salt, but baked them for around 20 minutes.  Wow – […]

• Reply Serena April 4, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Oh this is great! I’m featuring this recipe on my blog since its such a cheap awesome alternative to kale chips! THANKS!!!!

• Reply CHEAPO EATS TIP #2: A Delish Way to Prevent Vision Loss June 18, 2013 at 4:32 pm

[…] there’s collard chips for starters. A spicy noodly ham hawk version (obviously, I recommend subbing the egg noodles used […]

• Reply jenn November 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Does your recipe say when to use the olive oil? I’m sorry I don’t see that detail here.

• Reply Trevor November 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I don’t see it either. What do we do with the oil? I saw another recipe that said to toss the kale in the olive oil before baking.

• Reply InspiredRD November 19, 2013 at 2:57 pm

So sorry, I just updated the recipe! Thanks for pointing that out.

• Reply amm December 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm

We make lots of kale chips at my house but this evening when I was walking through the garden with my 3 year-old, he asked about collard chips. I googled to see if folks made these and tried your approach. And we liked the collard chips better than kale! thanks for sharing!

• Reply Learning Something New Every Day … at Whole Foods | Life is like a bowl of gumbo February 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm

[…] Yes.  Yes, I can. […]

• Reply 2014 CSA: Week 2 | White Oak Pastures April 1, 2014 at 9:15 am

[…] Collards – A Southern Tradition. And no need to break out the ham-hocks and boil them down, just saute with olie oil and sea salt and enjoy! OR if you like Kale Chips, try Collard Chips CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE […]