***Contest has now ended****
When I met Michelle Dudash a few months ago, not only was she the cutest little mama I ever did see, but her passion for food was instantly apparent. She has a way of taking the seemingly overwhelming chore of getting healthy meals on the table that everyone in the family will actually eat, and turning it into a quick and simple task that anyone can master.
Her new cookbook “Clean Eating for Busy Families” is packed with simple whole-food recipes, along with the tips, grocery lists and tools to get started.
This isn’t a gluten-free cookbook, but most of the recipes can be modified with just a quick substitution or two. One of my favorite recipes is included here. I thought Grilled Cilantro Shrimp Tacos would be the perfect clean eating dish for summer. Yum!
Make sure to enter the giveaway at the bottom to win a copy of “Clean Eating for Busy Families” so your family can eat clean too!
Grilled Cilantro Shrimp Tacos
- For shrimp:
- 1 pound 455 g peeled and deveined large shrimp (21/25 count), tails removed
- ¼ cup 4 g chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons 28 ml lime juice
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml expeller-pressed grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons 6 g minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 long grill skewers if using wooden skewers, presoak in water 10 minutes
- For salsa:
- 1 mango diced (about 1 cup, or 175 g)
- ¾ cup 113 g chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons 2 g chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons 13 g thinly sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons 10 ml lime juice
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon minced jalapeno add more to make it spicier
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/ 8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 8 corn or small whole-grain flour tortillas make sure to use gluten-free corn tortillas if you are gluten-free
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- To make the shrimp: Preheat grill on medium-high heat (400°F, 200°C, or gas mark 6). In a medium bowl, mix shrimp with cilantro, lime juice, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stand 2 skewers up on the counter, ½ inch (1.3 cm) apart with sharp sides pointing up, and thread on the shrimp, pushing them all the way down to 1 inch (2.5 cm) from base of skewers.
- Repeat until all the shrimp are skewered, being careful to leave small spaces between each. Place shrimp skewers on a sheet pan, cover with plastic wrap, and chill to marinate at least 15 minutes, or up to 4 hours.
- To make the salsa: Stir together mango, bell pepper, cilantro, scallions, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Oil the grill and place shrimp on the grate. Close the lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp are opaque almost halfway through. Turn skewers over to cook the shrimp through, another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from skewers. Heat tortillas on the grill or in a microwave until hot, about 30 seconds.
- Fill tortillas with shrimp and salsa and drizzle with oil.
To enter to win a copy of “Clean Eating for Busy Families,” simply leave a comment with your biggest obstacle to getting healthy food on the table for your busy family. I’ll choose a winner randomly at midnight on June 4th. Good luck!
***Contest has now ended****
You can also find this book at your local book store or on Amazon.