When I think about finding peace, I tend to jump to the big ideas like spending a few days in the mountains, getting a massage, or drowning myself in spiritual music. But I don’t often have time or money for that. So how do I weave peace into my day-to-day life?
Here are 5 (free) things I do when I’m looking for a little peace in my everyday life. I hope they inspire you.
1. Write in a journal. You don’t have to be a faithful journaler to find peace in writing. Even if it’s just writing out a list of things on your mind, it helps to get them out of your swirling thoughts and onto paper.
2. Turn off the music in your car. Take advantage of any driving time you have by yourself (without the kids in the back seat chatting your precious ears off). While it might feel good sometimes to rock out to the music you won’t let the kids listen to, taking a few minutes to drive in silence can bring you back to center. Take some deep breaths and enjoy the quiet.
3. Turn off the TV and pick up a book. I love relaxing in front of a good movie or show just like anyone else. But reading a good book is much more peaceful and quiets the soul like TV cannot.
4. Light a candle. Take a few moments to breathe in and out. You might even light a candle for someone else.
5. Take a walk. If there is a time of day when someone else can take the kids for a few minutes (or if you don’t have kids, a time when you can just walk away from whatever grabs at your attention all the time), find it and take a stroll. Leave the headphones at home, and allow yourself to walk in silence. Let your mind rest as you put one foot in front of the other.
How do you find peace in your day?
(This post originally appeared on August 28, 2013, but I thought we could all use a reminder.)