This week I bought the GIANT bag of carrots at Costco and brought them home only to remember that we didn’t bring our BlendTec to Montana. Hmm, what to do with all the carrots? Then I remembered making Quick Pickled Carrots with Garlic and Dill a few years ago and instantly had a craving for them.
Thankfully, I had picked up a gigantic stalk of dill at the farmer’s market this week. I grabbed some coriander seeds from the bulk bin at the store, and everything else was already in my kitchen.
I whipped these up in about 10 minutes, stuck them in the refrigerator, and came back 24 hours later to crispy deliciousness.
(The waiting is the hardest part!)
These carrot pickles are garlicky, briny, and have the best crunch. The kids love them too!
We’re almost through the jar already, so I’ll be making more this afternoon.
This recipe works with any veggie (cucumbers, green beans, bell peppers, asparagus), and you don’t need any fancy equipment.
While we tend to crush these quick pickled carrots as a snack straight from the fridge, quick pickles are highly versatile.
Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
Slice the carrots thinly, and add to a salad.
Quick pickle a red onion to add to tacos or nachos.
Go the traditional route with cucumbers to add to a hamburger.
Try a mix of whatever fresh veggies you have on hand to make it more interesting.
Add some chili pepper flakes or a hot pepper to make spicy refrigerator pickles.
The possibilities are endless. For more ideas, check out this post about Quick Pickles from Grateful Grazer.
Start with these Quick Pickled Carrots with Garlic and Dill, and then let your imagination go wild! I can’t wait to hear what you come up with.
Quick Pickled Carrots with Garlic and Dill
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced lengthwise to fit in jar
- 1.5 tablespoons Celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 3/4 cups distilled white vinegar 5 percent acidity
- 1 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 3 large garlic cloves halved
- 8 dill sprigs
- Pack carrots, dill and garlic into 1 clean 1-quart glass jar (I re-used a pickle jar from the store). In another jar, combine the salt, sugar, vinegar, and coriander. Shake until the salt and sugar dissolve. Add water and pour the brine over the vegetables. Add extra water if needed to keep the vegetables submerged. Close the jar and refrigerate overnight or for up to 1 month.
Great recipe – I have a similar one here with white wine vinegar: http://theweeklypickle.com/week-2-dill-pickled-carrots/