Dear Younger Me,
- Moisturize your neck.
- Relax. 99% of what you’re worrying about will never happen.
- Wear sunscreen.
- Talk less, listen more.
- 5 weeks of unlimited tanning for $35 is NOT a good deal.
- Jesus loves you.
- Revel in the energy you have to be able to run 5 miles at cross country and go straight to a 2 hour soccer practice.
- Choose friends over boyfriends.
- Bangs are never a good idea.
- Your sensitive eyeballs could use a pair of sunglasses.
- It’s far better to be different than to go with the crowd.
- You don’t, in fact, know everything.
- Seriously, moisturize your neck.
Turning 40 has sent me down a road of self-reflection. There is both gratitude and regret, failures and triumphs. Gratitude for the experiences I’ve had, places I’ve traveled, and family who loves me. Regret for the way I neglected my body in the way I suspect most young people do.
Sunburns at camp, on the river, at the pool. A tanning bed membership in college (WHY). I’m trying to remember if I even had a skincare routine. What was I putting on my face? As a 90s teen I can only assume it was Noxzema.
These days I find myself playing catch-up by moisturizing the heck out of my neck and taking steps to repair some of the damage of my youth.
And those of you who know me know when I get excited about something I can’t not share it, so come along with me on this skincare journey.
If you’re young, let this serve as a friendly reminder to start NOW so you won’t be playing catch-up when you’re my age. If you’re close to my age or older, hopefully by sharing what works for me, it can help you find what might work for you.
Before we get started, let’s get a few things out of the way.
– I have only ever shared products that I use myself and would be recommending to you whether it is an affiliate of mine or not.
– Some of what I share may have an affiliate link, which simply means that if you purchase an item I recommend, I will get a commission from the company at no extra cost to you. (Many times you even get a discount because they give me exclusive codes to share.)
– If you ever have any questions, please let me know. I’m an open book!
While I was in Arizona in March, I hung out with my friend Lindsay and her skin was glowing. I asked her about what she’s been using and she gave my samples of a few Beautycounter products. I had heard of Beautycounter and knew they were committed to safe and effective skin care so I jumped at the opportunity to try it for myself.
My skin, which has always been sensitive, especially to anything new, drank them up and asked for more. Seriously. In less than a month, I was experiencing smoother, softer, and more even-toned skin with zero irritation.
Here are three products I’ve been using and loving so far.
- Countertime Lipid Defense Cleansing Oil– For a while I had skipped any kind of cleanser and was only using Erase Your Face makeup removing cloths (which I still highly recommend, they are magic!) but this cleansing oil has been so good for my dry skin. It removes makeup and adds moisture at the same time. Plus it smells amazing and just feels good.
- Countertime Tetrapeptide Supreme Cream – My skin has been super dry lately (thanks hormones) and this cream is so luxurious. I’ve always been afraid of heavy creams thinking they might cause breakouts, but my skin is smooth and clear!
- Counter+ Overnight Resurfacing Peel – I’ve always had sensitive skin, so I was a little nervous to try it, but this overnight peel is so gentle it hasn’t irritated my skin at all. It helps with cell turnover (which decreases as we age) and is gentle enough to use 3-4 times a week. You put it on after cleansing, let it sit for 5 minutes, then add your moisturizer on top. It does all the work while you sleep!
My plan going forward is that as I run out of a skincare or makeup item, I will replace it with a safer version. This seems like the most responsible and cost-effective way to go. Since the cc cream I use is almost gone, I just pre-ordered a new lightweight foundation from Beautycounter, so I’ll keep you posted on that. I’m excited to be able to wear makeup that will actually be improving my skin at the same time.
I am also running low on my neck firming cream (Seriously youngin’s, moisturize your neck!). I’ve been using the Yeouth Neck Firming Cream from iHerb.com for about 3 months now. I’ve been liking it pretty well, but would prefer something with a little more firming power. I’m not sure if I’ll stick with that or possibly try swapping it out for the Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream.
One other product I’ve been using for about a year and highly recommend for anyone needing extra moisture is Acure Argan Oil. You can find it at Sprouts but can usually get a better price on iHerb.com. I use this when I need extra moisture, especially during allergy season when my nose gets dry. Acure also makes an awesome brightening scrub for those of you who don’t have issues with dry skin.
If you’re interested in learning more about anything I’ve mentioned here today, make sure to leave a comment or shoot me a message. I’ll be sharing on social media too, so make sure you’re following me on Facebook and Instagram!