Meet my newest breakfast obsession, overnight oats. I wanted to try overnight oats because I don’t like the texture of instant oats, and I want breakfast faster than the time it takes to cook rolled oats. Overnight oats take 2 minutes to throw together at night and 2 minutes to heat up in the morning (you can even eat them cold if you want to). You get all of the chewy texture of rolled oats without the fuss. Perfect! You can jazz them up any way you want to, but this is the recipe I have been using lately. (For more ideas, check out my original oatmeal post.)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats Make sure to use certified gluten-free oats if you have celiac disease
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup coconut milk You can use any liquid you like.
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds I used Running Food chia seeds because they sent me some to try. They soak up all the excess liquid as they plump and provide omega-3 fatty acids, protein and fiber.
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 T. maple syrup
- 1/2 sliced banana
- Mix oats, 1/2 cup milk, chia seeds, cinnamon and maple syrup in a bowl.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, heat for 2 minutes on high in the microwave.
- Add sliced banana and 1/4 cup milk on top after heating.
- Eat and enjoy!
Have you tried overnight oats? What do you like in your bowl?