Last weekend my friend and I threw a small baby shower for sweet Ashley. Ashley is a dear friend that I met five years ago when our husbands played baseball together. She is also the one who took my profile photos and most recently took our family photos (If you are in the Austin/Round Rock area, you need to hire her. She will be there for a few months starting in April). I knew I wanted to make pinwheels for the party, but I wanted to find a unique recipe. Ashley has a fondness for feta, so I took the traditional cream cheese recipe, added feta, cranberries and green onions, and we had a winner!
At the time, I hadn’t been diagnosed with celiac disease yet, so I used whole wheat tortillas. Now I use gluten-free tortillas. My favorites are BFree, Siete, and La Tortilla teff tortillas. Feel free to use whatever you like, just be aware that some gluten-free wraps are too soft (Mission) or fall apart (brown rice wraps).
This recipe is perfect to make ahead and serve for any party. I hope you like it!
Sweet & Savory Pinwheels
- 8 oz package cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 4 oz tub crumbled feta cheese
- 5 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 to rtillas if you're gluten-free like me, the ones I like best are BFree brand or Siete
- Mix cream cheese and feta together in a large bowl. A pastry cutter works well if you have one. Add green onions and cranberries, mix until well incorporated.
- Soften tortillas if needed in microwave for 10 seconds. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over first tortilla. Roll tortilla tightly and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (I made mine the night before to save time).
- Remove plastic wrap, slice tortilla roll evenly. Arrange on a plate and serve!
What’s your favorite party appetizer?
These look good (and pretty). Party appetizer. I love a raw bar (shrimp/oysters) and anything cheese-related. Made Ina Garten's baked fontina a few times this winter, always goes over well.
Oh yum, I love fontina. Will have to check that recipe out.
[…] Sweet and Savory Pinwheels […]
Hey, Alysa, I hope you don’t mind, but I linked to this recipe in my football appetizer post here: http://thatbaldchick.com/2011/08/31/football-season-is-here/ because it looks so Oh My Yum!
They look so pretty and seasonal appropriate! I think some crunch walnuts in it would be good too! Fav holiday appetizer? Hummm….I would say this year it has been these turkey meatballs with cilantro! Check it out…I have yet I make them! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/southwest-turkey-meatballs-with-creamy.html
Yes, walnuts would be perfect in these!
How many servings does this yield?